There’s no denying my love for lamb. I mostly order it at restaurants, but when I got a chance to receive an order of two lamb shanks from Superior Farms, I decided to give cooking lamb at home another try.
With time and ingredient constraints (the refrigerator was looking especially empty that day), I developed this simple recipe using just lamb shanks, onion, garlic, white wine, and…..wait for it…. sparkling lemon water! Go with me on this one.
Braised Lamb Shanks with Wine and Lemon Sparkling Water
2 lamb shanks
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 sweet onion, sliced
4-6 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2-1/3 cup dry white wine
1 can of lemon flavored sparkling water
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Pat lamb shanks dry with paper towels and generously season with salt and ground black pepper.
3. Heat oil in a French oven over medium-high heat and sear the shanks on all sides until browned. Do this in batches, if necessary.
4. Remove the shanks onto a plate; drain excess oil and fat from the French oven. Add onions and garlic and caramelize over medium heat until softened, about 10-15 minutes.
5. Nestle the shanks among the onion, pour in the wine, and braise the lamb shanks covered in the oven for 1 hour.
6. Add in a can of lemon flavored sparkling water and continue braising for another 2 hours, until the lamb is tender.
What’s next is up to you. I chilled the shanks overnight and enjoyed them, thinly sliced in salads, over sautéed potatoes and mushrooms, and on sandwiches.
Here are some of my other favorite lamb recipes: