Some foods just go together. Mashed potatoes and meatloaf. Burgers and fries. Pizza and beer. Last night, while I was having a quiet evening at home, I was craving one of these classic dinner combinations. For me, it was a bowl of roasted tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. For full disclosure, I admit that the soup came straight from a container. But worry not, I am giving you 5 ways to spruce up your tomato soup and 5 more ways to upgrade your grilled cheese sandwich!
5 Ways to Dress Up Roasted Tomato Soup:
- Add minced onion and garlic. You can add the two raw, or quickly saute them in some olive oil.
- Add chopped herbs. Basil is classic with tomatoes, but parsley and cilantro work equally as well. Also, try chives, thyme, or green scallions.
- Drizzle with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil -or- balsamic glaze reduction – or – heavy cream.
- Serve with cheese croutons. Think of this as the tomato soup and grilled cheese in one. It’s purely delicious and you don’t have an extra plate to wash from holding the grilled cheese sandwich.
- Put an egg on it. No joke. A properly poached egg on top of the tomato soup is quite decadent and beautiful.
5 Ways to Dress Up Grilled Cheese:
- Switch up the bread. Try focaccia, bagel, or croissant.
- Use a combination of shredded and sliced cheese inside. Try a slice of smoked Gouda with shredded Swiss cheese.
- Fit thinly sliced onion and tomato between the bread and the cheese. Spicy salami is another fantastic addition.
- Triple decker. If you can’t get enough of the sandwich, build it with an extra slice of bread – and for an extra bonus, you’ll get to use more cheese. Cheesy!
- Wrap the sandwich in bacon or prosciutto before frying. This is kind of a joke, but I’m sure there will be at least a few of you who will try this.
What is your favorite dinner combination?
What is your favorite way to eat tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich?