Let’s face it – I haven’t been to the grocery store in longer than I would like to admit, but when it comes to making breakfast, I couldn’t present the lack of groceries as an excuse not to cook. So I turned the contents of my fridge, saving an ingredient or two in the process, into this Easy Chicken, Kale and Bell Pepper Frittata.
I used leftovers of rotisserie chicken, a cut up bell pepper, and kale, that would’ve completely wilted the next day. Be sure to scroll down to see my hint for “flipping” frittata to ensure it cooks evenly on both sides.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped rotisserie chicken
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 shallot, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 cups kale leaves, torn
salt and pepper to taste
4 large eggs, beaten
Optional: sour cream, salsa, fresh basil
1. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
2. Add chicken, bell pepper, shallot and garlic. Saute for 5-7 minutes until pepper and shallot become tender. Add kale and saute for another 2 minutes, or until it wilts slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste
3. Pour in beaten eggs, and lower the heat. Cook the eggs gently, until they set on the bottom. Use a heatproof spatula to gently push uncooked eggs to the bottom of the pan.
4. Place a plate over the skillet, and flip the frittata onto a plate. Gently transfer frittata back to the skillet and cook on the other side for a few minutes.
5. Flip frittata again, slice into wedges and serve with sour cream, salsa, and basil.
And here you have it – easy, chicken frittata recipe with kale and bell peppers – healthy, quick, and cleans up your refrigerator too!