Last Saturday night, as I was marinating the lamb for the Pomegranate Molasses Roasted Leg of Lamb, I decided to be a great daughter, and for once, do what my mom suggested – make rice!
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large shallot, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups Jasmine rice
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups water
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup dried prunes, chopped
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and saute for 3 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add the rice to the shallot and garlic and stir to coat each granule of rice with oil. Saute for 3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover the rice with water and bring it up to a boil. Lower the heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and simmer the rice for 15 minutes, or until the water has absorbed completely and the rice is tender.
4. Let the rice sit for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in apricots, prunes, and walnuts right before serving. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Here it is! The pilaf is served in a gorgeous bowl that was a gift from Priya – thanks sunshine, I love it!
And just in case you were wondering how the rice pilaf looked along the Pomegranate Molasses Roasted Leg of Lamb – not too shabby!