1 can tuna*
1 boiled egg, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup cooked rice
2-3 dill pickles, finely diced
1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
1 tablespoon finely diced celery
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon spicy mustard
salt and pepper to taste
2 slices of bread
shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
*(I prefer mine in water, but feel free to use the kind in oil, just be sure to buy the best quality tuna you can afford. Be aware of ethically-fished and sustainable tuna brands.)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top. Set aside.
1. Mix together tuna, egg, rice, pickles, onion, celery, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and adjust the flavor. I personally like to add more pickles. You should feel free to play with proportions of ingredients.
2. Spread the tuna salad on bread and sprinkle with cheese. Transfer the open sandwiches on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake the sandwiches in the oven until they are heated through and the cheese has melted. This will take about 15 minutes. For extra crispness, cook the sandwiches under the broiler for the last two minutes.
4. Eat the sandwiches immediately. Or, if you are at my house, you sit on the couch, waiting for a sandwich while I take photographs. And if you are Alla, you probably pout… a lot!
Serve these Tuna Melt Sandwiches with extra pickles and Pop Chips or your favorite potato chips. I also drizzled some hot pepper sauce for an extra kick.