2 tablespoons olive oil
4 slices peppered bacon, diced
2 pounds mild or spicy Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
1 bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 gallon chicken broth
8 small potatoes, scrubbed and diced
1 bunch rainbow carrots, scrubbed and diced
3 medium zucchini, diced
1 bunch rainbow Swiss chard, stems and leaves separated and diced
1 bunch red Swiss chard, stems and leaves separated and diced
1 quart milk or half & half
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large saute pan. Add bacon and saute for 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook until sausage is no longer pink inside, about 5-8 minutes. Be sure to break sausage into small pieces while it’s cooking. Removed bacon and sausage from a pan (reserving the fat) and set aside.
2. Add onion, fennel and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook until vegetables are translucent, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a large soup pot, combine chicken broth, potatoes, and carrots. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Partially cover the soup pot and lower the heat to simmer. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender.
4. Add the stems of Swiss chard and zucchini and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
5. Add milk and bring to a simmer. Be sure not to boil, or the milk will curdle.
6. Add Swiss chard leaves, cooked bacon and sausage, and onions with fennel. Cook until Swiss chard is slightly wilted and everything is heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with green olive bread from Preston Hill Bakery and butter from Golden Glen Creamery.
Thank you SO much to all the farms for providing beautiful vegetables.
Oxbow Farm for the gorgeous rainbow carrots.
Bautista Farm for onions and potatoes.
Thanks to everyone who came for a taste, cup, and bowl of soup and made this Stone Soup Kitchen another success!