I’m very excited to be attending 1st-Annual Foodbuzz Blogger Festival in San Francisco, sponsored by Foodbuzz community. Nature’s Pride Bread has generously offered a scholarship to 6 deserving contestants. Here’s my entry.
What is the Northwest Onion Soup Brizza? Think flavors of the traditional French Onion Soup, with Northwest Influences (Washington state onions and apples along with the Oregon cheese). Instead of a bowl of soup, however, the flavors shine and come alive on a Nature’s Pride Country Buttermilk Bread. Here’s where the word brizza comes in – bread + pizza – afterall, you do get the delicious melted Tillamook Swiss Cheese as a topper.
Enjoy the recipe! It easily doubles to please a crowd.
Nature’s Pride Northwest Onion Soup Brizza
4 slices Nature’s Pride Country Buttermilk Bread, lightly toasted
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Butter
2 large Walla Walla onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 tablespoon apple brandy
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Rome Beauty or Gala apple, thinly sliced
4 slices Tillamook Swiss Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Make sure onions do not brown.
- Add garlic, wine and brandy; continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in fresh thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste and continue to cook until the onions are soft and translucent and the liquid has cooked out, about 5 more minutes.
- Divide the onion mixture evenly among 4 slices of lightly toasted Nature’s Pride Country Buttermilk Bread. Top each piece with slices of apple and Tillamook Swiss Cheese.
- Bake the brizzas in the oven until toasted and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.